Friday, August 15, 2008

Top 10 Songs That Should be in Rock Band part 1

Like many people who play Rock Band I have a list of songs that I think really should be in the game.  I decided I would make a top ten list of songs that I would like to see.  I gave myself a couple rules about what can appear on the list.

The song has to have discernible guitar, bass, drums and vocals.  That cuts out a lot of my favorite music; no White Stripes, Cornershop, They Might Be Giants, etc.

(After making this list I noticed today that Rock Band announced that they are releasing a couple new Devo songs and that they actually paid the band to come in and re-record with the necessary instruments. For example they might turn a synthesizer line into a bass line.  Interesting.)

The song has to be by a band that I can imagine them actually putting in the game.  In the early to mid-90's I was really into pop-punk, Lookout Records type music and so I would LOVE to see bands like:  Good Riddance, The Vindictives, Screeching Weasel and The Gain but I just can't see that ever happening.

And my last rule, just for fun, the song has to be on my Ipod right now.

The first part of the list:

10. Champagne Supernova - Oasis

The first several songs on my list I picked mainly because they are just great songs.  I think this song would be pretty easy even on the most difficult settings just like the Oasis songs that are already in the game.   There is a bit of a solo at the end but it wouldn't be too much of a challenge.  It's a great sing along with a huge swell towards the end.

9. Rock Around With Ollie Vee - Buddy Holly

Old time Rock and Roll is sorely under represented in Rock Band right now.  Chuck Berry might be a better choice for some because of his superior guitar but in my opinion you can't go wrong with Buddy Holly and this is my favorite song of his.   I would bet that the singing would be the hardest part.  Imitating Buddy Holly's lilt thing that he did where the pitch goes at the end of nearly every line could be hard.

8.  Jonathon Fisk - Spoon

I really, really wanted to put a Spoon song on this list.  One of my favorite bands of the last few years with one of the best albums of the 2000's in Kill the Moonlight.  I chose Jonathon Fisk because it's honestly, as far as I can tell, one of the only songs of theirs that would work at all in Rock Band.  The guitar and bass would be easy (I promise I chose some songs that would be more difficult later on this list) but the drums would be tough.

That's it for now, I will post the rest of the list some other time, probably this weekend.

No comments: